Sunday, May 15, 2011

May 15, 2011

Last week I put out a new Meanwhile on The Rumpus, this time about the San Francisco Public Library. It tells the story of the people who work there, what they do, and who they serve in their own words. The response has been overwhelming. I think this has more to do with the subject matter than the art (it really is an amazing place.) Thank you everyone for your interest and for sharing the story.

Below is an excerpt. You can see the whole thing here.



























You can see the rest of it on The Rumpus, here.

6 comments:

Trade Your Talent said...

wow, this is very special! great sketches!

Claire Bain said...

HI! I adore this because you have used art, writing, and form to portray the library accurately and compassionately. I work at the Main, on the First floor, and you have expressed many of the thoughts I have had. I love that you appreciate the library, and have an understanding of its profound importance.

When I wrap up all that this library is, and place it on its platform of sharing and compassion, I come up with one word that it defines: Peace.

Thank you!

ps--I wrote a poem about the Main library: http://cbainpoetry.blogspot.com/2010/08/when-library-opens-fog-roars-through.html

cattylibrarian said...

This is wonderful! I wish I'd met you before I published a book about working at the Central Library in Los Angeles for 5 years...well, maybe not, since a friend and my ex illustrated that ;)! But please check it out:
Scream at the Librarian

Elvia montemayor said...

Such inspiration!!!! Love all of them.

Billboard lighting said...

When I wrap up all that this library is, and place it on its platform of sharing and compassion, I come up with one word that it defines. I got more information from this library.Really nice to visit here.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I love your artistic illustrations! (Besides, I wanted to draw your attention to a typo in the subtitle of the story: it should be "its". But you probably already know about it by now, I guess.)

:-)

A